Most of us kick off the new year with the best of intentions to do better: eat better, live better, be better. Within a few months (OK, sometimes weeks or even days), many of us feel overwhelmed and give up on the laundry list of ways to be the “new and improved us.”
But 2017 doesn’t have to be this way! Instead of overhauling your life to be an aspirational version of yourself, resolve to incorporate even one small, new step into your day. This recipe for Savory Oat Cakes is a great way to do that. It’s simple and includes healthy ingredients — the perfect jumpstart to the New Year.
Savory Oat Cakes
- 2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp light miso paste
- 3 green onions, trimmed and chopped (including the green part)
- 2 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
- Make oatmeal according to package directions, using the oats, chicken stock and miso paste.
- When the oatmeal is done, stir in sliced green onion and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and allow to cool to room temp (stirring a few times), then refrigerate overnight or up to three days.
When you are ready to eat:
- Heat a small, nonstick pan over medium heat and spray with non-stick spray or add a bit of olive oil.
- Take about 3/4 cup of the prepared, cold oatmeal, form it into a burger shape then squish it into the pan.
- Push the edges in as the cake cooks (to help keep its shape) until it is golden, about 5-10 minutes, then flip over and cook the other side until also golden.
- Top with poached or fried egg, if desired.
Makes 2-3 hearty oatcakes. Enjoy!