Support Your Mind and Body Through Cancer Treatment and Beyond Using Essential Oils
By Carol Lindsey Baker
Only those who have been diagnosed with cancer know what it feels like.
Statistics show that ONE in every TWO men and ONE in every THREE women will likely experience cancer in some form by age 85. If you have not been personally diagnosed, chances are you have a family member or close friend who has.
A cancer diagnosis elicits powerful emotions not only from the person being diagnosed, but all of the loved ones involved especially the caretakers. If you’ve been there, how did you feel? How did you support those feelings?
There are a number of natural ways to support your mind, body and spirit during cancer treatment and essential oils are a powerful tool to have. If you are considering using essential oils for any kind of alternative support, please talk to your doctor.Emotional Support
So far on SherryStrong.org, we’ve covered ways to support your emotional health and manage stress along with anxiety that comes with a diagnosis using essential oils as well as using essential oils for non-toxic cleaning. Let’s now focus on maintaining positive emotional health because it is an integral part of the recovery process. Your mind is a powerful tool in recovery.
Here are my favorite essential oils and blends along with their main benefits:
- Soothing for the skin
- Reduces anxious feelings or feelings of tension*
- Produces relaxing qualities and can help promote peaceful sleep*
- Wild Orange
- Supports healthy immune function*
- Powerful antioxidant for maintaining health*
- Soothes anxious or sad feelings
- Promotes healthy cellular function*
- Maintains healthy cellular function*
- Supports digestive system*
- Balances and uplifts emotions
- Aids in healthy immune function*
- Promotes a positive mood and encourages relaxation
- Reduces feeling of anxiousness
- Soothes the skin and optimizes cellular health
- Powerful at reducing anxious feelings
- Soothes emotions and supports the nervous system*
- Supports the health of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems*
- Grounding Blend
- Helps ease anxious or tense feelings
- Promotes feelings of tranquility and balance
- Produces a sense of relaxation and harmony
- Reassuring Blend
- Neutralizes anxious and fearful emotions
- Promotes feelings of peace and reassurance
- Restful Blend
- Calms the senses and emotions
- Reduces feelings of tension
- Creates a restful sleep environment
- The Console Blend
- Supports feelings of comfort and hope
- The Renewing Blend
- Promotes feeling of contentment, relief, and patience
- Uplifting Blend
- Promotes feeling of joy and happiness
It’s a great idea to choose an oil you love that provides the support you are looking for (sleep, calming, uplifting) and use that oil each time you want to elicit that emotion. The limbic system in your brain controls things like mood, emotions, and memories so when you use the same oil each time, your brain remembers and signals that emotion to the body.
Using oils aromatically can help improve mood and purify the air of unwanted odors. Four to five drops of any of these oils or blends listed are great to use when you need emotional support. My favorite: three drops of Restful Blend with three drops of Bergamot.
Epsom Salt Bath to Detox Your Mind and Body
I recommend a long bath (20 minutes or so) of Epsom salts, baking soda, and essential oils as a great way to detox. The sulfates in epsom salt help flush toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances. Be sure to drink plenty of cool water after your detox bath.
Epsom Salt Bath Recipe:
- 2 cups Epsom Salt
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- 20 drops of Lavender (Other options: five drops each Rosemary and Juniper Berry)
Mix all but the lavender oil together first and then add the lavender. Fill the tub with hot water and add the mixture.
Detox Bath Recipe:
- 2 cups Epsom Salt
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- 10 drops Grounding Blend
- 5 drops Frankincense
- 5 drops Lavender
My favorites for sleep support are Lavender, Vetiver, Copaiba and The Restful Blend. The Restful Blend contains powerful oils for calming the mind and body. Cedarwood, Ylang Ylang, Ho Wood, Marjoram, Roman Chamomile, and Vanilla Bean Absolute, Hawaiian Sandalwood are also helpful oils to promote calming effects for nightime routines.
Take the oil(s) you chose and apply a drop on the bottom of each foot, a drop on the back of the neck and behind the ears, or 4-5 drops in the diffuser will support a sound night’s sleep. If you wake up in the middle of the night, re-apply your essential oil and fall back asleep.
Here is my favorite sleep support rollerball blend. Apply to the bottom of the feet, behind the ears, on your chest. You can also use this any time of day to calm your mind or emotions.
Sleep Support Rollerball Recipe:
- 10ML Rollerball
- 30 drops of Restful Blend
- 5 drops of Vetiver
- 5 drops of Lavender
Fill the rest of the 10ML rollerball with Fractionated Coconut Oil
I hope this will become a resource guide that you can keep coming back to when you are in need of supporting your mind and body during and even after cancer treatment. And remember, not all essential oils are the same when it comes to quality. Pure doesn’t mean they are certified pure therapeutic grade. It’s scary to think what’s in “pure” essential oils when the requirement means only approximately 10% of it contains the essential oil. What makes up the other 90% … synthetics or fillers? Do your due diligence because it will mean the world of difference for your health.
*Statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.