Someone once said, “If you have cancer, you go to Dr. Nalini,” and it’s advice I’m so glad I followed. Dr. Nalini Chilkov’s practice in Santa Monica, Calif., focuses on all elements of cancer fighting, treatment and survivorship. She generously offered recipes for SherryStrong.org. This one, for zucchini tomato pie, is perfect for summer, when tomatoes and zucchini are in season and plentiful.
As Dr. Nalini explains, “Tomatoes are a high-antioxidant food and one of the best sources of the phytonutrient lycopene, which enhances immunity, plus these antioxidants have been proven to fight different forms of cancer.”
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian and vegan. Enjoy!
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 oz (1 stick) cold unsalted organic butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 4 large zucchini, cut into thin rounds
- 5 roma or plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced rosemary or dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a food processor, combine flour and salt. Add butter and pulse several times until mixture resembles fine meal. Add the egg and 2 tablespoons ice water, then pulse until well combined and dough comes together. Remove dough and press together with hands. Chill the dough in the fridge for at least 30 min.
- Steam the sliced zucchinis for about 10-15 min until slightly cooked but not too soft.
- Lightly oil your pie/tart pan (ideally with removable bottom) with olive oil.
- Roll your chilled dough in between 2 wax paper sheets into a circle and place it in the pie/tart pan. Press dough into sides carefully.
- Place sliced tomatoes and zucchinis, alternating one slice each on your pie crust starting on the outer edges and working your way around, finishing at the center. Try to buy zucchini and tomatoes with a similar size diameter, since it makes it easier to place them and it looks much nicer.
- Meanwhile, combine the minced garlic and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Brush vegetables with garlic olive oil. Season with minced rosemary, sea salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Bake about 45 minutes until crust is golden brown and vegetables are soft.
- Let stand for 10 minutes and serve warm.